Monday, November 12, 2007

So Much, Yet Nothing!


I work in a 99% virtual office. I say 99% because I have a desk with a desk phone and voice mail. There is a trendy in/out box sitter there, a nice little lamp (which emits a dull hum that I am quite certain is working away on my brain cells) a pen holder and other desk type stuff. I find that my creativity and productivity goes down significantly when I sit there. I actually like the desk. I picked it out. There are times when I really enjoy sitting there. But for the most part, I prefer public places. I miss the buzz in an office with other people and phones ringing and copies being smacked and cursed at. So I do my best to recreate the feeling of working "with" people by going to places where there are people.


Because my time is flexible and I have the freedom to experiment I have been trying to test work time options to see what really resonates with me.


This summer a friend recommended the book "The Four Hour Work Week" by Tim Ferriss. It is an entertaining read as well as thought provoking. He raises some very interesting questions about what we all want out of life and how to maximize the time we invest in work in order to maximize the time we have to milk for all it is worth.


I came across this short video today where Tim is talking about "Single-tasking". Give it a quick watch.


The line that really struck me was "For people who are looking for alternative options, who are willing to measure their results instead of activity..." STOP!


I have always found it so fascinating that this happens. We can feel successful in our busyness and yet accomplish little to advance the mission.


Hmm......

No comments: